Here are things you can do to avoid reacting negatively to life’s stresses.
- Know your triggers.
Write a list of up to 5 things that upset you. Ask yourself:
- Why does this matter to me?
- How do I feel when this happens? Why?
- How do I usually respond to this?
- How would I like to change my response?
- Will this matter next month, next year, in 5 years?
- Interrupt your old responses.
- Decide to change and to react to your triggers in new, positive ways.
- Pause your old reaction as soon as you are aware of it.
- Replace angry thoughts with calming mantras.
- Replace critical thoughts with compassionate ones.
- Replace resentful thoughts with grateful ones.
- Practice noticing people and external events without reacting to them.
- Notice shifts.
- Look for differences in how you feel toward yourself and toward others.
- Appreciate yourself for making changes, no matter how small.